Friday, March 25

A Good Friday Hymn

In a few hours our congregation will gather for a Good Friday service. We will sing a remarkable hymn--with new music written by Gregory Wilbur set to an old poem written by John Donne. I am profoundly grateful for both servants of the Man of Sorrows--one from, to use ecclesiatical terminology, the contemporary "Church Militant" and the other from the eternal "Church Triumphant." Herein is our Good News:

Will you forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?

Will you forgive that sin through which I run
And do run still, though still I do deplore?

When You are done,
You are not done
I have more.

Will you forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin and made my sin their door?

Will you forgive that sin that I did shun
A year or two but wallowed in a score?

When Your are done
You are not done
I have more.

I have a sin of fear that when I’ve spun
My last thread I shall perish on the shore.

Swear by Thyself, that a my death Your Son

Shall shine as He shines now and here-to-fore.

Having done that,
You are done,
And I fear no more.

No comments: