Friday, July 11

The Problem with Chesterton

My long-distance friend James Sauer writes, “I’ve got a problem with Chesterton. The problem is that I think he is a wonderful, wise, witty, and pious man; after reading his works, I never leave the page without feeling edified.”

So, “Why is that a problem?” you just might ask. “Perhaps, the problem, if it is a problem,” Sauer responds, “isn’t in Chesterton, but in me.” You see, he explains, “I am a Protestant; but not just any Protestant. I am an American Evangelical Protestant. But there’s more. I am a Conservative, Capitalistic, Bible-thumping American Evangelical Protestant. And hold on to your seats folks, just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse; I must confess, I am also a Calvinist. We all have our crosses to bear.”

OK. So far, so good. But then, Sauer gets to the sticky part, “Anyone who is familiar with the writings of Chesterton will see the great irony in my situation. I can only ask you not to blame me for this state of affairs, I didn’t choose to be elected; it was irresistible grace. I was predestined for Presbyterianism. But since I have received this unmerited favor of God, I might as well enjoy it. I can only thank my Sovereign Maker for His predestination. Not only did He choose me to be among his chosen people, but He also destined me to be among that other elect who have had the privilege of meeting through literature the great mind and good heart of Gilbert Keith Chesterton.”

Amen and amen!

3 comments:

Jim H. said...

I have a Catholic friend who is the former editor of a well known conservative journal. He was scandalized when I sent him a link to your recommended reading list where you have both Ronald and John Knox!

btw...I've just finished reading the second of Colin Thubron's books, "In Siberia", which may even be better than "Where Nights Are Longest" (now republished as "Among the Russians.")

Lawrence Underwood said...

I can understand Saucer's predicament all too well.

Diane V. said...

Thanks for the "Motivation from Team Hoyt" you placed on your run blog, Dr. Grant. WOW, simply WOW!