Thursday, May 17

The Adams Legacy

"Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand." John Adams

"The only sure and permanent foundation of virtue is religion. Let this important truth be engraven upon your heart." Abigail Adams

"The highest glory of the American Revolution was this; it connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of the civil government with the principles of Christianity. From the day of the Declaration the American people were bound by the laws of God, which they all, and by the laws of the Gospel, which they nearly all, acknowledged as the rules of their conduct." John Quincy Adams

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Although his personality does irk me, occassionally, I have become quite partial to reading about the uncanny brilliance of J.Q. Adams.

He is so dreadfully quotable on such a wide array of subjects. By the way, I have finished chapters one and two of my Faust. I am enjoying it very much.

Melanie said...

I have seen those citations before and love them. I checked a book from the library long ago that was made up of letters from Abigail. Perhaps I'll see if I can find it again sometime.

--Melanie

Trapeze Swinger said...

Dr. Grant! I have been talking to a man who works here at Covenant who says he knows you from a church in Florid, I believe. His name is Ron Brown and he is the RUF director here at Covenant. When I mentioned the name of the church my mom and dad went to he asked if it was yours. "With a name like Parish I thought it might be George's." was his exact quote I believe.