Sunday, May 1

Marathon Accompli

I did it! I can hardly believe it, but I did it. I've been running now for just over a year and a half. And yesterday I completed the Country Music Marathon. It was a blast--at least it was a blast until the last 6 miles or so. I was doing really well. I kept a good, steady 8 to 9 minute a mile pace through the first 10 miles or so. But then I got all inspired thinking that since I was still feeling great, I could actually qualify for Boston or something silly like that. So, I sped up; I kicked it up a notch; I acted as if I was 20 years younger than I actually am; I pulled out all the stops. At mile 20 or so my body went into a full-scale revolt. I had heard of folks hitting the wall. Now, I have first hand experience with it. Oy veh, those last 6 miles were torture! But, I suffered through and made it. My time was 4:02:09. A finish line never looked so good!

So many people supported me in this effort--both to run the race and to raise support for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I am grateful for my mobile cheering sections--Amy, Brianna, Jonathan, Isi, Susan, Eric, Holly, Danielle, Jered, John, Linda, and Kelsey. My fellow runners Andrea, Cammy, Craig, Dave, Grant, and Robin were a great inspiration to me. I was amazed and delighted by the Belmont Church brigade and band--what invigorating joy to see and hear at mile 8. Of course, I am very thankful for all those who prayed for my creaky knees and gimpy ankles. The freebie "coaching" I got from Mark Miller and the guys at Team Nashville was much appreciated--even if I did foolishly depart from my pacing plan! Finally, I am so grateful to all those who sponsored me through your gifts to St. Jude.

This one was for you Wes and Joshua.

No comments: