Sunday, April 18

Here I Stand

Martin Luther had been brought to the city of Worms to recant of his "reforming views" before the great Hapsburg Emperor, Charles V. But, the Emperor was not to have his satisfaction. It was on this day in 1521, Martin Luther uttered immortal words that launched the Reformation, "Since your majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason--I do not accept the authority of popes and councils for they have contradicted each other--my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right not safe. Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me. Amen." With a victory gesture he then slipped out of the room.

No comments: