Friday, September 10

On the Road Again

For more than two weeks now, we have been extraordinarily busy. The whole King's Meadow and Franklin Classical School team have been running from pillar to post, it seems. In fact, during the last twenty days Joanna and I have only been in the office together one day!

Last week we participated in the annual beginning of school camp for FCS. It is a time when we have a lot of fun, establish the standards for the school's spiritual culture, and really get to know one another in a non-threatening, non-classroom environment. It was great. In fact, it was far and away the best camp experience ever. Our new principal, Tina Gilchrist, did a fabulous job and led us well following a difficult summer of transition.

Then this week Karen, Joanna, and I were on the road again. We visited Jackson, MS and Belhaven College. I had the privilege of speaking at the school's opening academic convocation and chapel, visiting several classes, lecturing, and meeting with the visionary leaders of this remarkable institution. I had a wonderful time. And the icing on the cake came when Dr. Roger Parrot and Dr. Dan Fredericks bestowed on me the Doctor of Humanities degree. As my son later said, now I am "Dr. Dr. Dr. Grant!" Yes, and that and several dollars will buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

In the midst of all this excitement, my new book, The Importance of the Electoral College, came out and I've been doing a flurry of radio interviews--on both nationallys syndicated shows and on regional drive-time shows.

All in all, it has been a great couple of weeks. But now I am ready to settle into my regular routine--I've got all my Modernity lectures for Humanities to hammer out and a new study on the Book of Esther to work through, after all.

No comments: