Thursday, March 25

How Should We Then Live?

In the midst of the polarizing cultural and political battles of our day, how should we Christians conduct ourselves? Two days ago on my Eleventary Blog I suggested eleven (of course) Biblical Resolves for the post-Health Care Reform environment we now find ourselves in. I was surprised by the response I got--not just from my friends and my small, faithful following, but from a host of inquirers and interviewers from the mainstream media. I declined all the TV interview requests (I do have a job after all), but I did decide to chat with a couple of old friends on the radio. And that just seemed to stir up even more interest and requests. Hmmm.

Today, I'll do a one more interview--a visit with Chris Fabry on his nationwide Moody Radio broadcast from 2-2:30 PM CST.

Here are the resolves that we'll be discussing:

1. Pray more.
"Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17

2. Listen first.
"Be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger." James 1:19

3. Work harder.
"Work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men." Colossians 3:23

4. Serve others.
"Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

5. Defend life.
"Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter." Proverbs 24:11-12

6. Grumble less.
"Do not grumble against one another; behold, the Judge is standing at the door." James 5:9

7. Do justice.
"Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." Amos 5:24

8. Love mercy.
"He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

9. Walk humbly.
"The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor." Proverbs 15:33

10. Rejoice always.
"Rejoice always." 1 Thessalonians 5:16

11. Trust Jesus.
"Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty reigns." Revelation 19:6

I'm still just a bit taken aback by the response to these seemingly ordinary Christian callings for daily living. But then, I suppose in these peculiar times, nothing ought to surprise us.

2 comments:

The Morrisons said...

I am sure everyone will be blessed by your wise words! Thanks for keeping us grounded.

Lawrence Underwood said...

Fundamentals are the ket to victory in just about every sphere of life. When they are overlooked teams (and churches) lose.

What the church in this country needs is just this, a return to the fundamentals.