Sunday, June 12

Home Again, Home Again Jiggidy Jig

I arrived home from my various European adventures yesterday. My, how good it is to be home!

Following the tour of London and Cambridge, I journeyed to Holland where I was doing a bit of research on Indonesian history. I know that sounds rather convoluted--until you realize that the archive of the Dutch East Indies Company is the single richest resource anywhere in the world for information on that vast archipelago nation along the South Pacific rim. I found some great information that I am hoping to work into a curriculum for our schools in Jakarta.

Alas, there is no rest for the wicked: right after church today Karen and I head off to Chattanooga where we will be attending the PCA's annual General Assembly. GA is our denomination's big hubbub every year--a great time to reconnect with friends, conduct the important work of the church's life and mission, sort through our sundry plaguing difficulties, and celebrate our common covenantal commitments. I am particularly looking forward to a pre-GA conference on the Westminster Confession at my good friend Mike Milton's church, First Pres. We'll hear an all-star line up--from Sinclair Ferguson, Doug Kelly, and Ligon Duncan to Derek Thomas, Phil Ryken, and Al Mohler.

And then of course, there will be the bookstores--one at the conference run by Reformed Seminary in Jackson and another at GA run by the denomination's education and publication ministry! I've been saving my pennies for this feast!

2 comments:

gileskirk said...

Mad:

Well, I think that the vote was largely driven by folks who believed that the issue of the education of children is not within the jurisdiction of GA--some would even argue that it is even outside of the jurisdiction of local churches. But, I think at root, the problem is a modernist worldview that too many of our pastors, elders, and churches have blindly accepted: that somehow education is morally neutral and that any choice is OK as long as parents are making that choice with good intentions. I too am very disappointed.

Nate Shurden said...

Dr. G,

Blessings - There is wide disagreement within the PCA and other denominations on the relationship between the family and the church on the issue of educating covenant children.

At some point, I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue, particularly with regard to the responsibilities and roles of both parties.

Just a thought...