Wednesday, September 5

D. James Kennedy (1930-2007)

"Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, says the Spirit. They will rest from their labors, and their deeds follow them" (Revelation 14.13).

D. James Kennedy, was one of the most influential Christian pastors, thinkers, writers, social reformers, educators, evangelists, and broadcasters of our generation. He was also my pastor, my friend, my boss, my mentor, and my hero. This morning at around 2:15, Dr. Kennedy went home to be with the Lord--he had been quite ill over the last several months. A memorial service has been scheduled for Thursday, September 13, at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

The last time I saw Dr. Kennedy face-to-face, he called me his "son in the faith." I have never been paid a greater compliment. May God continue to multiply Dr. Kennedy's words, his example, and his influence for the glory of Christ and His Kingdom--and may I have the courage to uphold his legacy of Gospel faithfulness as a true "son in the faith."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My prayers are for strength and comfort from the LORD for his family and all those who will mourn his death during this time. The LORD used Dr. Kennedy in many wonderful ways during his life with us. I pray that the LORD will use the messages he delievered to strengthen and educate others as He has done to myself even now since he has gone to sleep in the LORD.


"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them who are asleep, that you sorrow not, even as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also who sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

- Paul the Apostle
(1 Thessalonians 4:13-14)

Inkling said...

While I cannot say that I knew much of his teaching myself, I will say that I'm very grateful for his ministry. My husband grew up on a French island in the Caribbean, and there were no Bible-believing churches at all. Through a dog's funeral where he and his brothers read the Bible for the first time, my husband first discovered Jesus as his Savior. But he had no one to guide him to show him more, or to help him understand the Bible. So he turned to the only resource available on that island - the radio. He listened faithfully to Dr. Kennedy, and counts him as one of his disciplers, though they never met. So, in a round about way, I can say that I'm grateful for Dr. Kennedy's ministry, for it is one of the reasons that my husband is a wonderful spiritual leader for our home today.

RangerBob said...

Dr. Grant,

We are truly sorry for you loss.

Rob Lipford

Josh (the sexiest thing here) said...

Wow. This feels like a shock to me. One of the great leaders of the Faith has gone home. I am confident that he received a hearty, "Well done," from our King. He will be missed, but the power and truth of his words and the testimony of his life will endure.